Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Review: Sid the Science Kid

As a mother, who has bachelor of science degree in microbiology, I am thrilled that my son seems to love science. When I was asked to check out the PBS kids show "Sid the Science Kid", I knew it would be right up our alley.

Sid the Science Kid is geared for children ages 3-6 and is designed to support science learning. The program appeals to kids' instinctive quest to figure things out, using a multi-cultural cast, humor and music as key teaching tools.

We were sent the episode "The Dirt on Dirt", which is a special Earth Day themed episode. It focuses on what makes dirt so dirty, and how important it really is to the Earth. My son really enjoyed this show. He said that he liked it a whole, whole bunch.

When the show was over, I did a little Q&A with my 4 year old, and this what he had to say.

Q: What was your favorite part of the show?
Wyatt: When Gerald did the wiggly worm dance.

Q: What did you learn?
Wyatt: There are many kinds of dirt and there is stuff in the dirt that helps stuff grow.

Q: What can we do at home to help the earth?
Wyatt: Pick up trash that we find in the soil.

If you think your little one would love Sid the Science Kid, check your local listings for air time.
This episode will air on PBS kids on April 22. Check it out and see what your kid will discover.

Renee

2 comments:

Colleen said...

My kids started watching it a few months ago and love this show. My daughter loves the tune about going to school.