Thursday, May 7, 2009

Feeling Sentimental

Tonight I went with my mother and my two boys to visit The Vietman Traveling Memorial Wall.

Here is some information about the wall from their website: "Our Wall is a 3/5 scale of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC, it stands six feet tall at the center and covers almost 300 feet from end to end. This Traveling Memorial stands as a reminder of the great sacrifices made during the Vietnam War. It was made for the purpose of helping heal and rekindle friendships and to allow people the opportunity to visit loved ones in their home town who otherwise may not be able to make the trip to Washington. "

I was born towards the end of this war, so for me it seems like such a long time ago, but for those who lost their loved ones the wound is still there. My mom's first husband died in the war at the age of 21. She went today to the dedication ceremony and back tonight to find his name on the wall. I hope one day to take her to Arlington to see the real wall.

I was touched by the amount of people at the wall on a Thursday night at 7:00pm. I guess that this is the one way they know to honor their lost.

Thank you to all who fight for our freedom!!


Renee

0 comments: